Wait a minute… don’t we ALL?!
Yes, it’s true. Even for those that have a high self-image or high self-esteem in place, there will always be moments throughout life when we struggle with confidence!!
I guess that’s just part of being human. 🙂
So why do we sometimes lack confidence?
Some of the following personal examples come to mind:
- when I’m learning something new for the first time
- when I’m feeling down, doubting what’s possible, or unsure about the future
- when I’m lacking clarity around something I’ve not yet figured out
- when I’m exhausted, tired, and drained
I’m sure we can all relate to these examples!
But here’s the thing… what if there was a “sure-fire” way to increase your confidence when situations like this arise?
Before reviewing what that approach might be, consider first the following definition of the word “confidence” as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
- a feeling or belief that you can do something well or succeed at something
- a feeling or belief that someone or something is good or has the ability to succeed at something
- the feeling or belief of being certain that something will happen or that something is true
Notice a common theme in the definitions above? 🙂
What I noticed is that each definition starts with “a feeling or belief”.
This would appear to mean that feelings and beliefs are integrally tied into confidence and in my experience, I have definitely found this to be true!
So what’s a “sure-fire” way to increase your confidence?
Personally, I believe it’s simple and ultimately boils down to ONE thing:
INCREASE YOUR BELIEF.
Increase your belief that you are capable, that you can do better, that you will achieve success at some point, that everything’s going to work out, etc…
How do you increase your belief?
“Success builds confidence.” – K. Trudeau
I believe the best way to increase your belief is to become increasingly competent (typically over time) in the area that you desire.
Eventually you will get a taste of success that increases your belief (and your confidence!) around what’s possible.
What’s the ripple effect when you get that taste of success?
Success (big or small!) provide the following benefits:
- increases your feeling or belief of what’s possible
- increases your confidence because you now know what you’re capable of
- increases your growth and wisdom because you learn what works and what doesn’t
- raises your frequency and vibration so that you become more magnetic to opportunities that will help you be even more successful in the future
- AND, motivates you to keep trying until you master and succeed at the goal you’ve set before you!
Of course, keep in mind that repeating the same mistakes over & over again is the definition of insanity, so to prevent you from spinning your wheels you will also want to:
- Acknowledge what works well after each attempt toward success
- Learn from what does NOT work well
- Fine-tune your efforts based on what you’ve learned
- Course-correct and try again until success is achieved
So here are the final thoughts I would like to leave you with today:
- If at first you don’t succeed simply try, try again.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Make up for what doesn’t work the next time around.
- Be patient and persistent in your efforts.
With each small success you experience, you will experience an increase in your belief AND in your confidence! 🙂